Condensed Format
Lakeside Cabins in Northern Ontario Canada
When you print this, you will have all the
Important Information on 8 Sheets of Paper

Please Visit Also Our Main Website at:

Our Postal Address is:
P.O. Box 1448
Chapleau, Ontario   P0M 1K0

Call toll free   1-800-426-2550

Alternatively   1-705-465-1878

Or text us       1-705-465-1878

Or e-mail us

The cabins are owned and operated by Hugh and Maureen Kuttner. They are Canadians and live in Chapleau year-round.

What it Costs

Our weeks run from Saturday to Saturday.

In 2023 a week's stay will cost 600.00 Canadian Dollars per person.

In 2023 our first week starts on May 27th and our last week on September 2.

Included with the cabin are a boat and 6-hp motor for each two persons in your party and unlimited fuel.

If your group consists of an uneven number of persons, one of your boats will be larger and have an 8-hp motor so that three persons can fish together comfortably.

This is for 7 Nights, Saturday to Saturday. You can pay us with either Canadian or American money. Our invoice will show the amount in both currencies.

13% Sales Tax is additional.

If you are visiting us from the United States you can click here for the Canadian Dollar to U.S. Dollar conversion rate

Cabins No. 1, 2 and 5 sleep up to four.

Cabin No. 4 sleeps two.

Cabins No. 6 sleeps six.

Cabins No. 3 and 7 sleep eight.

Cabin No. 8 sleeps twelve.

Important Things at a Glance

Good fishing for walleye, northern pike and jumbo perch.

Boats and motors (one for each two persons) and all the gasoline are included with the cabin.

Very strong cell phone signal.

Indoor toilet, air conditioning, hot running water (good well water) and a complete kitchen. You will be right by the lake and surrounded by trees. It is quiet, peaceful and private. There is a propane BBQ at your cabin door.

Only 10 minutes from the village by boat. Seclusion, yet easy access to supplies.

Free unlimited long distance calling including to the USA right from the camp's library room.

Canoes are also provided free of charge, for exploring and fishing some of the connecting lakes and streams.

How to Make Your Reservation

First, please call us at 1-800-426-2550 or e-mail us at

Next, make your deposit. Please make your deposit by check or by credit card. Send $100.00 per person. Make the check payable to

If for some reson you have to cancle your reservation you will not lose your deposit. It will be credited to you toward a future stay with us.

For the balance when you have arrived here we accept the following payment methods:

How to Get to Chapleau by Car

If you live in Southern or South-Eastern Ontario start out by heading for Sudbury or Timmins, whichever is the closer to your home. Chapleau is two hours drive west of Timmins on Highway 101. It takes four hours to drive from Sudbury to Chapleau.

If you live in Michigan, Ohio or Indiana we are straight north of you. Coming from there you will drive north on Interstate Highway I-75 to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan and there cross the bridge into Canada. From the Canadian side of Sault Ste. Marie it is only 190 miles to Chapleau, about three and a half hours' drive.

From Sault Ste. Marie there are two options. You can take Highway 17 North to Wawa and then Highway 101 East to Chapleau. You can also come by way of Highway 17 East to Thessalon and then Highway 129 to Chapleau. These are all good paved roads.

We do not recommend Highway 556 from Sault Ste. Marie past Ranger Lake to Highway 129. It is a gravel road, can be quite rough and will cost you much time and maybe the price of a new muffler. The other roads that we recommend are excellent and all paved.

Once you are in Chapleau, you can easily find our boat house. You will come over a high overpass to reach the main part of town. Turn left as soon as you have crossed this overpass, onto Pine Street. Drive along Pine Street for three blocks to Aberdeen Street and turn left again. We are at the north end of Aberdeen Street. The building has green and brown shingles on the walls and a metal roof.

Do you live in the United States?

A passport is not specifically required but Canada requires that you carry some proof of your citizenship that includes photo identification such as a passport or birth certificate, or a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a certificate of North American Native status. Children under 16 need to present proof of U.S. citizenship such as their birth certificate when entering Canada with their parents.

Entering to the United States on your way home you will need one of the following: A Passport, a Passport Card, a NEXUS card or an Enhanced Drivers License.

You can get the passport application at your post office. It takes only about 3 weeks to obtain a passport. You can find more info about this subject on our website at

Each person can bring into Canada duty-free 2 weeks worth of groceries.

Each person can bring into Canada either one 40 fluid ounce bottle of liquor or 24 cans of beer or 2 bottles of wine. Each person can also bring in all of these tobacco products: 200 cigarettes + 50 cigars + 7 ounces of tobacco + 200 tobacco sticks.

Checking In and Out

Our boat house, office and parking lot are at the north end of Aberdeen Street right on the Chapleau Lake. The cabins are reached by boat in about 10 minutes.

Check-in time is from 8:00 a.m. onward on Saturday.

Check-out time is 9:00 a.m. on the following Saturday.

When you arrive at our base in Chapleau we will help you to move your baggage to your cabin with our work boat. You will follow with your fishing boat, a 10 minute ride. You can reach your car by boat in 10 minutes if you wish to get supplies during the week.

At the end of your stay we expect you to bring your baggage from your cabin back to your car yourselves. If you have a physical disability, we will of course be glad to help you. Simply tell us on the evening before your departure that you need help.

What You Should Bring

Please note that we do not accept pets

* A sleeping bag and pillows for each person. We do not supply bedding

* A life jacket for every person in your group (required by law)

* A watertight flashlight for each boat (required by law)

* Kitchen size trash bags. Large bags are too heavy for us to transport off the island

* First aid kit, boat cushions, sunscreen and broad-brimmed hat to avoid sunburn

* Food for at least two days. You can get more here if you run short. There is a good super market in Chapleau.

* Coffee Filters (any type will do)

* Fishing gear including landing net and tape measure

* Bath soap, hair shampoo, towels, face cloths, toilet tissue

* Dish soap, dish towels, dish cloth and scrub pads

What we Supply Besides the Cabin

A boat for each two persons complete with swivel seats, 6 horse outboard motor and unlimited gasoline are included with your cabin as one package.

Long distance telephone calling to anywhere in Canada and the USA is free of charge from our library phone.

Canoes are available free of charge.

The cabins have inside toilets, running hot and cold water (from a well), electric heat and air conditioning. There are two central shower houses.

The cabin has a large refrigerator with a freezer compartment. The full size glass-top electric range has four burners and oven. Also supplied are microwave oven, coffee maker, toaster and all pots, pans, dishes and silverware. A propane gas grill is outside the door. Living rooms have a lovely view of the lake. To clean fish, we have a screened fish house, equipped with running water, waste disposal unit and light.

Location of the Cabins

The cabins are right by the lake. To reach us, you will drive into Chapleau and park at our boat docks. From there, the cabins are reached by a 10 minute boat ride. If during your stay you need to buy supplies, you can easily take your fishing boat to Chapleau and tie up at our boat docks. There is a supermarket, bait, beer and liquor store all close to our boat docks.

About the Fishing

There are 12 miles of lakes that you can fish and explore. But it is not big water and you can always find sheltered water even on a windy day.

Fishing is very good walleyes also known as pickerel, jumbo perch, smallmouth bass and northern pike. For walleyes and perch night crawlers usually work well. If you plan to bring night crawlers across the border into Canada, make sure that they are packed in artificial bedding. But I suggest that for walleyes you also bring jigs, white twister tails and black and gold floating Rapalas, size 9. Please have a look at our website for more details about fishing methods.

You can carry several rods in the boat but each fishermen can have only one line in the water. A fishing line must not have more than 4 hooks attached. A hook can be a single-pointed or a multiple-pointed hook that is part of a lure.

There is no week or month that is consistently better or worse than the others. I suggest that you simply pick a time when you can best get away. You will usually improve your results by fishing early and late in the day. The days are very long here in the north, so take your rest in the middle of the day. One thing is certain, you will always catch enough to eat fish every day.

For Pickerel (Walleyes) bring some white jigs (quarter oz.) and white twister tails (single tail 4 inch over all length). Bring also some No. 11 floating Rapalas. The ones with the black back and golden sides work best in our waters. Walleyes will also bite on night crawlers.

Pike will bite on anything in your tackle box. For yellow perch still-fish with a crawler and a bobber. I will point out some good perch spots close to your cabin when you are here.

Fishing Regulations

Pickerel (Walleye):
From the third Saturday of May till April 14th of the following year. The possession limit is 4 with a normal licence, 2 with a conservation licence. Only 1 may be larger than 18 inches (46 cm). There is no minimum size.

Northern Pike:
Open all year. With a normal licence, the possession limit is 6 pike. Only 2 of the 6 may be longer than 61 cm (24 inches). Of those 2, only 1 may be longer than 86 cm (34 inches). If you have a conservation licence, the possession limit is 2 pike. One of these may be between 61 cm and 86 cm (24 inches and 34 inches). The other must be no longer than 61 cm (24 inches).

Open all year. 50 with a normal license, 25 with a conservation license.

Open all year. 25 in one day, 12 with a conservation licence.

Smallmouth Bass:
Open all year. The possession limit is 6 with a normal licence, 2 with a conservation licence. No size limit.

Each visitor from the United States can take home across the border the limits stated above.

Non-Resident Fishing Licences. Where to Buy.

A complete and valid licence to fish consists of an Outdoors Card accompanied by a valid licence tag. This applies to Canadian and to U.S. Citizens.

Please be sure to buy your fishing licences before you reach Chapleau. No one in Chapleau will issue licences on a Saturday or Sunday.

You can buy an outdoors card or your licence tag immediately online and print it on your own printer. You must have a printer attached to your computer (either black and white or in color). Here is the link to that site:

A complete and valid licence to fish consists of an outdoors card accompanied by a valid licence tag. This applies to Canadian and to U.S. Citizens.

The Outdoors Card is a plastic, wallet-size card, valid for three calendar years. It is issued to anglers and hunters for identification and administration purposes.

The fishing licence tag is carried either as a document separate from the outdoors card or printed on the back of the card. You may choose one of the options described on this page to obtain your first outdoors card and fishing licence tag.

You will also be instructed to print your licence tag and you will have to carry it with you while fishing. The licence tag that you will print is the only one you will receive. A wallet size plastic outdoors card valid for three years will be mailed to you later.

If you do not want to buy your fishing licence online we suggest that you buy it along the road before you reach Chapleau. Here are some convenient places.

Traveling north out of Sault Ste. Marie towards Wawa and then east on Hwy. 101

The Ontario Information and Welcome Center which faces you directly after you leave the Canadian Customs checkpoint.

The Agawa Indian Crafts on Highway 17 North, 46 miles north of Sault Ste. Marie. It is well marked with highway signs. You can get refreshments there as well.

In Wawa at Young's General Store. Young's General Store is on the right side of the road as you enter Wawa. There is a gas station and a stuffed moose standing outside the door.

Traveling east out of Sault Ste. Marie towards Thessalon and then north on Hwy. 129

The Ontario Information and Welcome Center which faces you directly after you leave the Canadian Customs checkpoint.

HiWay Variety Bait & Tackle. Fishing Licences.
883 Trunk Road
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 3T3, Canada
Phone: (705) 946-3737

Tunnel Lake Trading Post and Motel. At Thessalon turn north onto Hwy. 129. On the right side, 25 miles (40 km) from the start of Hwy. 129. Open 7 days a week, 6:30 am till 10:00 pm. Fishing Licences, Gas, Diesel, Propane, Live Bait, Liquor, Beer, Groceries. Click here for directions.

The office of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) in Chapleau also issues fishing licences, but only from Monday through Friday and just during government business hours.