Back to Site Index

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada

Click here for driving instructions
from your house to Chapleau.

Crossing the border between Canada and the United States

Every U.S. citizens age 16 years or older needs one of the documents below.

a Passport
or a Passport-Card
or an Enhanced Driver License

Children under 16 can cross the border with a certified copy of their birth certificate.

You can get a passport application at many post offices, clerks of court, public libraries and other state, county, township, and municipal offices. Click here to look up your nearest location

Read here about the U.S. Passport Card

Ask the people who issued your driver licence about the enhanced driver licence. The enhanced driver licence is available in some U.S. States but not in all.

If your passport has not arrived in time for your trip, you can take along your copy of your passport application and two pieces of I.D. (e.g. driver's license and birth certificate). That will suffice to get you through the border.

No Boater's License needed

Residents of the USA can operate a boat in Canada for 45 days without a boater's license.

Bringing Food and Live Bait into Canada

You can bring into Canada two weeks worth of food.

Click here for complete information about traveling with alcohol and tobacco and everything else that you need to know to cross into Canada

If you plan to bring night crawlers (dew worms) make sure that they are packed in artificial bedding, not in natural earth.

Credit Cards

You can use U.S. money to pay your bill with us because we will give you the correct exchange rate. But when you make purchases in Chapleau stores or stop for gasoline, meals or anything else along the road, use a credit card. That way you cannot be victimized by business people who do not adhere to the correct exchange rate. Be sure to call the banks who issued your credit cards and advise them that you will be going to Canada. Most banks now decline the transactions if a card is suddenly used outside the U.S.A. without notice from the owner.

Here is a link that will tell you the correct exchange rate. Look at the topmost line.

If you want Canadian cash you can get it from one of the two downtown ATMs. One ATM is in the lobby of the Royal Bank. The other is at the Credit Union, directly across the street from the bank. That is at the main intersection in the centre of Chapleau.

The bank's address is:
33 Birch St
Chapleau, ON, P0M 1K0
Phone: (705) 864-0570
transit #: 862

Does someone in your group have a DUI? Check this link for information.

Back to Site Index